Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Week 11 (revisiting an old post)

    Hi everyone! We are getting close to the end of his semester which for many of you, including myself will be the end of our first year in university of Toronto. As I mentioned in an earlier post, don't forget to pick your subjects posts tomorrow on ROSI. My decision is to double major in CS and Mathematics but I have to do some more research on this. It is good news that we have our TAs back to help us in the remaining weeks of this course to get ready for assignment 3, our last assignment for csc148 and for the upcoming term test in late April. I am pretty sure that the office hours and help center will continue working in April.

    Alright back to our weekly topic! In this week, since I chose option B in assignment 3 to work on, I will be visiting this SLOG entry! For any of you who chose option A, I strongly suggest to practice on option B's functions! an extremely helpful and awesome practice in recursion. you do things like using sets instead of lists to be efficient. A lot of fun challenges to solve will be ahead on your way and with each one, you will learn something new.

I feel like as we are getting more and more comfortable with programming and algorithms, the more I understand how something with a fairly simple idea behind it (we are talking about trees here), can come in handy to makes hard problems fairly easy and doable. In my opinion it's because of the way that you can express the problem you are trying to solve as a drawing of a tree on a piece of paper. and you can actually run each line of your code on that picture. The idea of having paths, children, root and leaves did not have the same respect in my eyes as it does right now. Now that I understand what those simple  concepts can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment